Hey guys! J.L. Bryan has a new book out and it’s just in time for Halloween. Perfect timing for a spooky new read, don’t you think? And beside the fact that is was written by J.L Bryan, one of the best parts is that you can pick it up between now and Halloween for just 99¢. After you read the book blurb, be sure to scroll all the way down this post for your chance to win some incredibly cool stuff. So, have I got your attention? Good, let’s find out more about Unseen, shall we?
The Unseen by J.L. Bryan • Publication date: October 25th, 2013 Genres: Horror
Cassidy is a young tattoo artist living in the Little Five Points neighborhood of Atlanta. She’s always suffered terrible nightmares, and sometimes the hideous creatures seem to follow her out of her dreams and into her waking life, though she’s the only one who can see them. Drugs and alcohol can blot them out, but never entirely chase them away.
When a demonic cult begins to take control of the people in her life, including her younger brother, Cassidy discovers that the unseen world of monsters is very real. She can no longer avoid it. To protect those she loves, she must accept her own hidden supernatural talents and face the forces of evil before the sinister cult achieves its twisted goals and casts the world into darkness.
I don’t know about you, but this sounds like one that I’m going to have to read with the lights on. *shivers* That’s the best part about spooky reads though and J.L. Bryan is a master at making the supernatural come to life. I can’t wait to find a nice cozy corner… possibly in the middle of the day… to start reading Unseen.
To celebrate the release of Unseen, there are some spooktacular Giveaways. They include a ‘spell book’ pendant, an awesome Ouija Board handbag, and a signed copy of The Unseen. To enter, just follow the link to the Rafflecopter drawing. Good luck!
I have a feeling that this book is going to swear me off of Ouija boards for life. How about you? Do you dare? If so, here’s some tips to help you out.
Crafty Witchcraft: How to Make Your Own Ouija Board!
Last month, we told you how to brighten up your home with magic-wand toilet paper dispensers, shrunken-head pull tabs for your ceiling fans, and a cheerful cauldron made from the skull of a demented gorilla. This month, Crafty Witchcraft magazine is happy to bring you some tips and tricks for making your own spirit board, for when you want to speak to the dead but just don’t have time to visit in person.
There are a few important considerations when making a talking board for your own use:
- The board itself—this is an important choice! Skip the boring poster paper and consider all your options: wood from a lightning-struck tree, dark obsidian rummaged from ancient temple ruins, or cursed cardboard from an evil factory are all great places to start! Remember, this will do more than anything else to determine the look, feel, and demon-summoning power of your board.
- Decorate! If you’re going to speak to the really interesting evil spirits out there, you’re going to need a little something extra. Consider a black-lace doily edging and pentagrams drawn in goat blood. A bit of glue and a dash of glitter or ground bone powder from the corpse of a serial killer will really make your board stand out to the dark ghosts of the unseen world.
- Modernize! There’s no reason to stick with just the old-fashioned, humdrum letters and numbers. These days, you’ll want to include a hashtag and an @-sign for more modern communication with the Other Side. All your witchy friends will see how hip you are when you’re getting messages like this:
Lucifer Morningstar (@TheFallenOne)
GIVE ME YOUR SOUL, WRETCHED MORTAL!
That’s right! Even fallen angels are hip to social media—shouldn’t you be?
- Improvise! There’s no reason to stick with a little rectangular board game model. Consider painting an entire room with the letters, numbers, and other symbols. Instead of a pointer, use a glass-top table on wheels. Invite your occult-oriented friends over for a spirit-summoning party, and watch those other witches turn green with envy!
- Accessorize! Why keep it to a simple, boring old pointer? Adds some bells and whistles! Literally. Maybe your spirit wants to express itself through spooky music or flashing lights. Be creative, and you’ll attract all the coolest ghosts.
We hope today’s article has helped spur a few ideas of your own! Remember, you’re speaking to the dead—there’s no reason to bore them to death all over again!
Yeah… still not gonna happen. Are you brave enough to try your hand? Inquiring minds want to know…. at least this inquiring mind. Just leave a comment below telling me if you think that there’s nothing to fear from a perfectly harmless Ouija Board or if you think there’s some things that are better off left alone. I think you know what my opinion is. If you’ve got your own personal spooky story I’d love to hear that too. 😉 I’ll pick one comment to gift an ebook copy of J.L. Bryan’s Unseen to. The Blitz ends on November 2, 2013 so I’ll draw my winner via Random.org on November 3rd. Be sure and leave me your email address so I can get in touch with you if you win!
The Unseen by J.L. Bryan has a special release price of 99¢ through Halloween. See his website for details and links: http://jlbryanbooks.com/books/theunseen.html
J.L. Bryan studied English literature at the University of Georgia and at Oxford, with a focus on the English Renaissance and the Romantic period. He also studied screenwriting at UCLA. He enjoys remixing elements of paranormal, supernatural, fantasy, horror and science fiction into new kinds of stories.
He is the author of The Paranormals series (starting with Jenny Pox), The Songs of Magic series, Nomad, and other books. He lives in Atlanta with his wife Christina, his son John, and some dogs and cats.